The Wellcome Trust Science Writing Prize 2014
In association with the 'Guardian' and the 'Observer'
By submitting your entry for the Wellcome Trust Science Writing Prize 2014 in association with the 'Guardian' and the 'Observer', you agree to the terms and conditions detailed below.
1. The Wellcome Trust Science Writing Prize 2014 in association with the 'Guardian' and the 'Observer' (the "Competition") is only open to non-published writers in each of the following categories:
(a) professional scientists of postgraduate level and above
(b) anyone else with a non-professional interest in science (this includes undergraduate science students).
For the avoidance of doubt, 'published' refers to professional journalists/authors who are regularly paid for their work. Entries from bloggers will be accepted.
2. Entrants to the Competition ("Entrants") must be residents of the UK, RoI, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and aged 16 years or over at the time of entry. Any entrants under the age of 18 at the time of entry shall have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian to enter this Competition under the terms and conditions stipulated herein and will provide the Wellcome Trust with the contact details of that parent or guardian if we wish to verify this.
3. The Competition is not open to (a) employees, consultants or contractors (or their family members) of (i) Guardian News and Media Limited ("GNM"), (ii) any other companies in the Guardian Media Group, (iii) the Wellcome Trust Limited (as trustee of the Wellcome Trust) (“Wellcome Trust”) or (iv) Wellcome Trust group companies (including Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Genome Research Limited), or to (b) anyone else connected with the creation or administration of the Competition or their family members. Students on placement at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute are not eligible to enter the Competition.
4. All articles entered in the Competition ("Entries") must be previously unpublished work.
5. Entrants should use the online application form and follow the instructions available on the following website (www.wellcome.ac.uk/swp) (the "Website"). The deadline for all Entries is 23.59 on 11 May 2014. Entries received after this deadline will not be processed.
6. No responsibility is taken for Entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or for Entries that cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of any Entry is not proof of receipt.
7. The Wellcome Trust and GNM reserve the right not to process Entries that exceed the 800-word limit or where the application form is illegible/incomplete.
8. Entries must be the original work of the Entrant. Any evidence of plagiarism may result in the Entrant being disqualified.
9. By submitting an Entry to the Competition, the Entrant confirms that they have the right to enter and have obtained all and any consents, permissions and authorisations that may be necessary in order for them to enter.
10. Any Entrant who enters or attempts to enter the Competition in a manner which in the Wellcome Trust's and GNM’s determination is contrary to these terms and conditions or by its nature is fraudulent or unjust to other Entrants (including without limitation tampering with the operation of the Competition, cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices such as intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other Entrants or the Wellcome Trust , GNM and/or any of their agents or representatives), or who submits an illegible or an incomplete entry, may be rejected from the Competition at the Wellcome Trust's and GNM’s sole discretion.
11. Entrants may submit only one Entry.
12. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted.
Judging the Competition
13. The judging panel for the Competition and the criteria to be applied by the judges are set out on the Website. From the valid Entries received in accordance with these terms and conditions, the judging panel (including at least one member who is independent of the Wellcome Trust and GNM) will select a shortlist of no more than 20 Entries per category that they consider (in their absolute discretion) to be the best.
14. Only shortlisted Entrants will be contacted by the Wellcome Trust and/or GNM. Shortlisted Entrants will be contacted by 1 September 2014. All shortlisted Entrants will be invited to attend the Competition Award Ceremony (the “Award Ceremony”), to take place in October 2014. The winner in each category of the Competition, as chosen by the judges, will be announced at the Award Ceremony. Further details of the Award Ceremony will be provided to shortlisted Entrants at the time the Wellcome Trust and/or GNM notifies them that they have been included on a shortlist for their category.
15. The judges' decision is final and no negotiations or correspondence with Entrants will be entered into.
16. The prizes for the winner in each category of the Competition are as detailed on the Website. Prizes will be awarded at the Award Ceremony referred to above.
17. The prizes are non-exchangeable, non-transferable and not redeemable for cash or other prizes. The Wellcome Trust and GNM accept no responsibility for any costs associated with the Competition or the prizes.
Other terms and conditions
18. Winners may be required to take part in promotional activity related to the Competition and the winners shall participate in such activity on the Wellcome Trust’s reasonable request. GNM will be organising and hosting a workshop on the same day as the Award Ceremony to which all individuals shortlisted for the Competition will be invited.
19. Entries and any other material submitted by Entrants will not be returned to Entrants.
20. Details of the winners can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Eva Novillo, Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.
21. Neither the Wellcome Trust nor GNM accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, costs, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an Entrant or claims made against an Entrant as a result of entering the Competition or the publication of an Entry as licensed by the terms and conditions. The Wellcome Trust and GNM each further disclaim liability for any injury or damage to an Entrant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from downloading any materials in connection with the Competition. Nothing shall exclude the liability of either the Wellcome Trust or GNM for death or personal injury as a result of the Wellcome Trust's or GNM's (as applicable) negligence or for fraud in connection with the Competition.
22. Neither the Wellcome Trust nor GNM shall be under any obligation to publish or exhibit any Entry in any manner whatsoever.
23. In consideration of the Wellcome Trust and GNM agreeing to consider their Entry, each Entrant: (a) hereby grants to each of the Wellcome Trust and GNM a perpetual, royalty-free, exclusive licence (with a right to sub-licence) at no cost to copy, edit, display, publish, broadcast, transmit and make available their Entry to the public, in any format and media, (i) for and in connection with the Competition; (ii) for and in connection with the promotion of the Science Writing Prize (whether in this year or in future years); (iii) in any internal archives of the Wellcome Trust or GNM (or of any of their group companies or any of their sub-licensees); (iv) for any other reasonable purposes connected with the Wellcome Trust's charitable objects; and (v) (at GNM's sole editorial discretion) in the 'Guardian' and the 'Observer' newspapers, on guardian.co.uk and on the GNM Science Blog located at www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog; (b) agrees that the Wellcome Trust and GNM may (but are not obliged to) publish their name and photograph in connection with the Competition and with the Wellcome Trust's and GNM's use of their Entry; (c) warrants to each of the Wellcome Trust and GNM that: their Entry is their own original work; they are the sole legal and beneficial owner of the Entry; the Entry is not defamatory, illegal, immoral, offensive, blasphemous, derogatory, racist or otherwise unlawful; and the Entry shall not infringe any third-party intellectual property rights or other rights including, without limitation, privacy; and (d) agrees that each of the Wellcome Trust and GNM may grant to its partners, agents, licensees and/or associated companies a sub-licence of the rights licensed to each of the Wellcome Trust and GNM under these terms and conditions on such terms as the Wellcome Trust and GNM shall agree in their sole discretion. GNM reserves the right to require the Entrant to enter into a direct licence with GNM on similar terms before GNM publishing any Entry in the 'Guardian' or 'Observer' newspapers, on www.theguardian.com or on the GNM Science Blog.
24. The Wellcome Trust reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Competition or any feature thereof with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control or otherwise (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud).
25. The interpretation of these terms and conditions shall be at the sole discretion of the Wellcome Trust and GNM.
26. The Competition and these terms and conditions shall be governed by English law and Entrants submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Data protection information
27. The Wellcome Trust will collect, store and use all personal data Entrants provide in accordance with applicable the Data Protection legislation.
28. To enter the Competition , Entrants must submit their Entry and application form to the Wellcome Trust as directed on the Website in accordance with paragraph 5. The Wellcome Trust may transfer this data to GNM for purposes connected with the administration of this Competition.
29. The Wellcome Trust would like to contact Entrants in connection with future science writing prizes and related projects and events. We may also contact Entrants to invite them to take part in surveys and other types of research aimed at evaluating the impact of our projects and informing future plans and strategies. Entrants' details will be stored on the Wellcome Trust's database for this purpose. Entrants who do not want to be contacted about future prizes, writing opportunities or related projects and events should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
30. Subject to paragraph 28, the Wellcome Trust will not, without an Entrant's consent, supply an Entrant's information to any other third party, except where (1) such transfer is a necessary part of the activities the Wellcome Trust undertakes, or (2) the Wellcome Trust is under a legal obligation to do so.
31. Individuals have a right under the Data Protection Act 1998, as amended, to obtain certain information from the Wellcome Trust and GNM, including a description of the data that each holds on them.
32. Any queries concerning this right can be sent by email to email@example.com or in writing to the Data Protection Compliance Officer, Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK for the Wellcome Trust or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Head of Data Protection, Guardian News and Media, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9GU for GNM.
33. Further details about how the Wellcome Trust processes and handles data can be found in the Wellcome Trust's privacy statement . Further details about how GNM process and handles data can be found in the GNM privacy statement.
34. Promoter: The Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.